EVALUATION, FOCUS, DEVELOP - KEY QUESTIONS IN THE PROCESS OF PROJECT DEVELOPMENT

EVALUATION

What is the problem? Communicating my research into indian and Bollywood culture and communicating my interest in Bollywood and Indian culture and the cliches around movies through 10 graphic products

What subject/area of study are you focusing on? Indian/Bollywood culture and the differences over time along with the extravagance, social context and cliches within Indian cinema.

To what depth are you investigating this area/subject? Is this sufficient? I think my investigation into Indian cinema and culture, and the overarching theme of weddings is pretty sufficient. I just need to find out a little bit more about each 'variable' I'm using for my product. So I have more quantitative data which I need. I'll rectify this very soon as it's vital.


What is the form and amount of your research to date? It has been through pictures/text/video/a mixture of qualitative and quantitative data through primary and secondary sources.

What is visual material do you have to work with? I have a variety of reference imagery and I'm going to look into colour palettes to give me a starting point to set me on my way to actually starting to make my products which I need to do pretty quickly and efficiently.

Is there an appropriate amount of work for the time you have had to develop it? In terms of actual designing work, I don't think there's enough as there should be taking into account the timeframe of the brief. I've been quite busy though with other modules and tasks, it's been a very busy period and it's noticable with this module. I think I have a fair amount of research.


What is your timescale? When is the deadline? I basically have around 2 weeks to make all 10 products to a decent standard. The thing to take into account is the final crit for this brief is a few days before the moduel submission, so there's not much time, if any to be able to rectify or improve on any substantial issues. It needs to be final, or pretty much final for the final crit which is on February 6th.

What is achievable in the time available? I think I can make a deck of cards in the time frame, but need to start basically now. I'll need to make the packaging for the card, and other products such as a receipt, a manual, a bag, business cards, flyers, posters, etc. I think this is a lot of work, especially in the time frame. I'm going to give it a go though.

I think at the least, I'll manage a deck of playing cards. Or at least 10, if worst comes to worst I can give in 10 playing cards as my 10 products, as a set of 10, they would work as a set of 10 different graphic products. I was going to basically do the same idea but enlarged as posters, and do 10 posters. So I think I'll be ok but it'll be a shame to just hand in 10 playing cards, with the potential I think this project has.


What methods are you using to evaluate the progress of your ideas? Reflecting on previous blog posts and progress, progress within certain timeframes, peer feedback and crits.



FOCUS


What are you identifying as areas worth developing further? I'll need to look into packaging, receipts, bags and other areas I may create products for.

What are you trying to communicate? I'm communicating the cliches and fun around Bollywood, through basically a playing card game. The audience will physically interact with the product. I'm also trying to communicate indian culture and the changes within it.

What audience have you identified? Pretty much everyone but most of my survey was answers by people within the 18-21 age category. About half of the survey recipients hadn't seen a bollywood film and were interested to check it out and about half hadn't visited india before. The survey also justified the cliches of Bollywood movies and I want to communicate this in a light hearted sort of manner.

Who are they? Aimed at pretty much everyone, including people who are yet to see a Bollywood movie or visit India. Aimed at older people too, I want to make the cards look abit more sleak and less 'kid trashy' as most top trump style cards do. So everyone appreciates them, including 'design savvy' people.

What problem(s) have you identified? Quantifying all the attributes I need for each actor/playing card. The information isn't really there sometimes

How do you intend to solve this? Approximation. I'm going to go through each actor and look at about 5 films that I can gain all the information for, gain an average for each attribute and apply this to the number of films in the actors career. I don't think anyone would really chase up each statistic, and it should be pretty much the general kind of number anyway.

What further research does this require? I need to carry out this research and outline 30 actors, short descriptions and the rating for each of their attributes, which I still need to outline.

What is your intention? I intend to get this done by tonight or atleast be on my way. I want the data ready and the making of the cards done by this Wednesday so I can print in drop-in, or if not then, atleast Thursday or Friday this week. It'll be difficult but I think it's possible. Once the playing cards are done I can breathe a sigh of relief and make the rest of the products if the time frame allows.


DEVELOPMENT


Have you moved on from your initial starting point. If so how and why? My first initial idea was to make 10 posters, which folded up into a DPS with the actors career in numbers. I'd have 10 actors and 10 posters. This has changed into using the same principles but applying it to playing cards, in a similar vein to Top Trumps cards. So now, for a full deck I need to make around 30 playing cards.

What methods are you using to document this development? Blogging thoughts and processes and idea development on design sheets.

What processes will you need to develop your work? Design processes such as drawing and getting ideas down on paper, bit more research and digital development

Do these processes require workshop access? Don't require it as a must, but I'll be using the workshop to do these processes for ease of use, space and facilities.

When do you intend to access these workshops? Frequently and whenever possible to do so.









0 comments:

Post a Comment