BUSHIDO!: Poster development

I've switched up my concept for the posters a little bit, as now they are to promote and create memorabilia for the exhibition they need to be fairly easy to digest and not be too philosophical and contain quotes like the original concept was for the posters, but that concept was for the boxset idea which I've scrapped.

So I'm still going to go with the 7's, and have each poster basically communicate a separate virtue, but no more than that.

From studying Japanese design and my own design inspirations I love the idea of organised chaos as that's what a lot of Japanese design looks like to me and I love it, I'm trying to give this a more contemporary and eyecatching twist with vivid colours and contrast.

I'm trying not to get too caught up in my ideas and just DO IT and fix as I go, that's how I feel I work best, but not get too much on a tangent as I have in the past.



First poster

Honour.


        

The colour palette is intact from my research book and I want to apply it to all my branding but in variations. A colour pallete of the red, blue, black plus stock. It's a lot of ink, more than I've used before. The focus of this poster is the virtue of HONOUR. 

Important informaton such as venue, length of exhibition, short description and price of admission are contained.

This is an early effort and most likely will be tweaked.








Poster 2

Benevolence


       

My original concept for these posters was to make each poster indivudally interesting and unique in itself, almost as if they're done by different designers but importantly all belong as a set too with the same sensibilities.

May have got a bit too far from my first poster here, I think it worked out well as an individual poster but as a set I'd have to really concentrate on making each poster unique.


The idea for this is for the poster to be very angular and geometric, I've used paralell lines and horizontal angles widely.


Simplifying and redesigning Japanese kanji to be much more angular, still hopefully readable! Could do with some proof reading.

Angles








////

I think they're both strong individually and they've come out quite interesting but as a brand identity and sensibility that I can apply across all the posters, I feel the first poster fits the bill more, it'll work much more how I imagined across the rest of the posters, books and websites.

It's essential I keep the same sensibilities throughout and the same copy, but be loose with the layout so it's all quite flexible.


Moving forward I'm going to work on more posters but make the sensibilities and colour switching more similar to poster 01. It'll become clear itself if poster 02 belongs part of the project or not.



0 comments:

Post a Comment