Studio Brief 3 - "100 Things You Need To Know About..."

Categorise and Communicate


Brief was given yesterday at the studio briefing (9/1/12).

The main phases of this brief are obviously categorising and communicating. Categorising comes first, this is the method of looking at all the facts. statistics and mixture of qualitative and quantitative data I have and how I'm going to group it together and what the variables will be that I may/may not compare to each other. Basically it's organising my research. If I need extra research, depending on what I choose to do, then this will obviously need to be done.

It's the longest brief we've had yet, but it seems to be quite independent, as in we have a deadline and we need to keep plugging away at it and be involved and it shouldn't be a problem. It's a refreshing change and I'm interested to see how I'll get on.

First things first I made a few notes to myself and looked back on my research and what I found the most interesting and I had the most passion to share with others.

What straight away comes to mind is Bollywood movies and the indian culture towards them. I grew up watching these films in VHS with my brother and sisters! I've never been too knowledgable about Indian movies but had more than a passing knowledge, I learnt more in the research brief and am looking to learn more. I'm also from an Asian family, and Pakistani and Indian cultures overlap much more than you'd think, in many ways they're basically the same. Pakistan has it's own movie industry, called "Lollywood" (brilliant" but it's not the same. Most people still watch Bollywood, it's even big here, Indian movies are frequently in the cinemas so there's a massive market for them here too.

I think the world of Bollywood is really interesting and want to share how different and interesting it is to people who may not be so informed on the movies and culture. It's something that's often joked about, by people familiar with Bollywood and also people who've caught a passing look at Bollywood films just how over the top and dramatic they are. Pretty much every Bollywood film is in the simpler sense - a musical. Very different to movies from the west.

So when I was thinking about how mad and over the top they are, I obviously need to categorise variables and interesting data somehow. The first idea that came to me was how they  magically change outfits in the songs numerous times, the laps of trees they do etc. And present this somehow, maybe 10 different books on 10 different actors or 10 different movies? Here's some points I jotted down, I'll try and have a think about how I'll do this and if it's possible, so I have decent grounds to share my ideas for the progress crit on Friday. Not gonna make anything or think about the look specifically yet, just what I'm gonna look into and display. I think this idea has substance and could work.



INITIAL IDEAS
  • 10 publications are needed
  • Not identical, but on the same theme
  • 10 different actors for 10 different books?
  • Displaying interesting/humorous statistics picked up over their career (make a seperate list of these and put it into practice
  • Short biography of actor e.g how many movies they've been in or explanation on the movie
  • Facts and figures of the actor too maybe e.g. total gross of his movies
  • Really like the look of old "golden age" posters, maybe incorporate this aesthetic to the publication to make it appealing
  • The running around trees, outfit changes etc in the Bollywood songs are something that Indians themselves poke fun at and I just think it'll be interesting and add a lighthearted aesthetic too it
  • Each actor/actress must have been "married" or fallen in love in film SEVERAL times in their career. Looking back on Hollywood movies, much more variety in types of genres and not just romance/action and everything combined.
  • Look at list of movies in actor/actresses career and youtube each video and tally each 'statistic' you outline
  • Look into iconography and isotype for displaying the facts
  • Look into into classic indian posters for the aesthetic
  • Possibly create a book, doubles up as a poster for that actress in vintage style? I'd want one!
  • Who would be the target audience?
  • Finding the stats on some song may be hard because of age of songs etc. might be more useful to look at 5 different films and all the songs, and then average out each stat across 5 films and apply the stats to number of movies
  • Could get pretty mad findings!
  • There's a book on Bollywood posters in the library, grab it for the progress crit and for explanation

0 comments:

Post a Comment