Verbal Acrobatics: Crit Feedback

"Hipster not Hip-Hop ATM"

Just got crit feedback for my progress so far and reflecting back on my progress, I feel all the feedback is very far, I agree with pretty much all of it. I need to inject some hip-hop into it and really reference the visual styles. I'll take a step back and come back with a fresh head focused on making the vinyls very 80s and very 90's, almost kind of 'bad' and not very graphic design in a way, I feel that would fit my visual style too and the styles I'm referencing. These need to be sorted ASAP, as I have plenty of work with the posters and web.


Strengths

  • Colour links to subject is a strong idea. That 80's hip-hop os more colourful and 90's darker.
  • Really interesting how you've actually made the songs a part of the vinyl sleeve and you've met with what you set yourself in the brief.
  • Listening to music is a good idea
  • Clear though process - really describe where your minds going
Areas for improvement
  • Just that it would be cool to see some more posters and stuff
  • What's your web based idea
  • Look at 90s hip-hop style for album covers - didn't reflect the same from yours - are you modernising it (fresh prince style looks well good)
  • Design visual - sketches would be useful to understand
Considerations
  • Album cover looks a bit like a surfer band album sleeve. So without a visual clue that they are hip-hop vinyls people could assume the tie-die reference is for west coast rock. Afreed really confusing, linked to several rock genres
  • What does the phrase "verbal acrobatics" make you think of? Can that be represented visually?
  • Rework classic albums?
  • Consider format from period? Cassette tape / walkman / what's most appropriate
  • Consider collage look, seems to be similar to past design
  • Use some typeface styles like they have - modernise it in some cool typographic way

Moving forward I'll definitely make the visual styles more 80s and 90s, I still feel a bit muddled about the vinyl sleeve, I'll focus more on the posters themselves and try knock a few of those out and it'll help me feel more comfortable designing the vinyl covers and logos too maybe. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment