Type & Grid - Session 2


Todays workshop was really useful and a progression from last week, with a more in-depth look at layout and margins and setting up your grid, as last week was more about Fibonacci sequences and making your own paper size, something I still need to work on.



Grids & Divine Proportions

Van De Graaf Canon

Page proportions

Divide pages without any real measurement, just equal proportions




Guttenberg. Bible based on golden ratio.

Octavio format, for working out curves.


Resarivo 9th's. No matter what page size it is, it should equally divide by 9, as long as it's proportionate and created using a sequence such as Fibonacci.


I could use this system for my 505 Bushido Martial Arts product range, so I definitely want to become comfortable with this more calculated approach.



Leading

Based on legibility.

Our eyes read by distance of 30-35 cm.

"7 words per line per any size of text."

To keep area light and open, consider leading.



Lines which are too long are boring.

Lines which are too short are also dull and confusing.

Matter of balance between vertical and horizontal eye movement.


For this reason column width is important as it relates to pt size of type and how it's read, don't decrease pt size to fit a narrow column, only if it has a purpose.



Margins

Too small - looks over full.

Too large - exaggeration.

Balance the margins. For Japanese editorial work it would be cool to also take a calculated look and create a secondary grid which can work over the bottom grid.





Putting it into practice

We all had a go at simply giving it a go and putting the golden ratio and Van De Graaf into practice, we don't have to use it at all but I wanted to use it and extend it further or create a grid to go over the top. I really enjoyed this once I got a bit more comfortable with it and feel it's definitely helped my work and although at first I thought being this calculated isn't worth it, it just...works. It looks much more pleasing and professional to the eye, even if you break the grid a little bit.

Here's the finished A4 DPS, on a recent football article.










Some development screens:

The Van De Graaf canonn I created.
 I split up each content area into a 2 column layout which allowed me to add body copy


I created a secondary grid which flows over the top. The outer boundary lines of the secondary grid is right in the middle of each outside,inner,bottom and top margin. I used this to align the article title too which is at 140pt.



Aligned the first body paragraph with Messi's eyeline but still tried to do it using a proportion of the content area and not just simply move it there





Splitting the content area into half, then half again, and half again gave me equal steps and 8th's I could play about with each paragraph with. So I dropped the second paragraph a little bit to create a bit more of a progression

I also added a blown-out quote from the article at double the pt size of the copy, so it's 28pt.

I aimed to have a more regimented Van De Graaf style layout at the bottom in terms of the image and primary body copy and then over the top I worked the margins and tried to overlay elements.

I'll definitely take this approach into my future work and want to become flexible with it.




0 comments:

Post a Comment