BUSHIDO: THE MAKING OF... (DC Publication)

Here is the Research booklet I've been working on.

The format of the book is Chuban size, a classic Japanese format often used for Woodblock printing. The size is 260 x 190mm. Very similar to A4 size. Saddle stitched with a small insert in the middle leaf of the book, which forms another small reference book of primary research I've read.

I  aim to reference classic Japanese design often used for Bushido art, in particular reference the format. On the format though, I plan on creating a more progressive and contemporary twist on Japanese design, I feel this booklet was great practice in doing this. A lot of fun, I'm quite chuffed with how this turned out.






























I'm happy with this style and this colour palette, I'm also happy with the typeface used and other small details. Doing this book has been great exercise and forced me to just DO IT. I feel I work much better this way and I'm more creative when I just do it, without too much faffing about in my head. I don't like to plan too much. I think it harms my work to an extent, especially in terms of layout and visual concepts.





It was also really cool to see the benefits of using a strict grid and type spec, I implemented a sort of Van De Graaf canon (above) with two different canons on top of each other, giving me flexibility but control at the same time and I feel it pays off. Looking back at my layout design a year ago it's nice to see I've come on a fair bit since then





Plan moving forward:

I need to research more into categorisation and organisation of information, basically research and nail down what will go in the booklets, what will go in the posters. How big the boxset will be - whether I need to order a box - make a box, what will the box be made out of? etc. I'm excited to crack on







0 comments:

Post a Comment