Leeds University: Culture Fest


Back in October I received a brief from a representative of Leeds University's Student Union regarding a last-minute replacement designer for their Culture Fest show.

The brief was pretty broad and not very specific on the role, format, purpose and target audience of the poster so I wrote my own brief to stay focussed.


//////

Brief Title: 
Culture Fest 17th October 2012


The Brief:
Produce a visually engaging poster which will be stuck and promoted around Leeds for an event by Leeds Spoken Word Society.

This is the first time we've ever had a Culture Fest event and this needs to really sell the event as a fun, appealing and exciting event to attend.


Mandatories:
Must send a variety of variations for the client to analyse and give feedback to you for a final design

In-depth visual investigation

Must be easy to produce in a large run and able to print through inkjet.


Deliverables:
Hi-resolution jpeg sent to client's email

Finished poster sizeable at A4/A3 and A2 format



Deadline:
Monday 15th October 2012

////






The finished and selected poster is this:













Here's another completely different visual style which formed the final 2 shortlist before the above was chosen:


















__Visual Development

This is a brief which really changed DRASTICALLY! Sometimes with a brief I'm just not really sure what the client wants and what kind of direction to go in, so the first designs stink and it slowly becomes half decent



this is what the client sent to me to see what information must be included and the previous style




//


This is the first effort combining together Malcom X and Martin Luther King Jr. didn't really like this at all and I felt I was forcing myself to reference the previous years poster too much with the microphone.






This poster went down well, but I felt I could personally do much better and thought I'd risk it and show the client something completely different that I'm happier with.





I was much happier with this design and the layout is much easier to read and there's a lot more movement conveyed throughout the poster



I distorted it and changed the colour gradient a little bit.


Feedback from client: Add in dancers and more colour, like reds/yellows/oranges, this is what resulted from it:

This is the chosen poster! After much visual development, I sent off a hi-resolution jpeg to the email and it all hopefully turned out alright on the day



Personally I prefer the blue and red colour scheme for this same layout and I'll definitely print out the top two variations for submission






0 comments:

Post a Comment