Type & Grid:: Concertina Booklet: Name and Concept


The product I'm going to create for the concertina booklet is a Football matchday programme available during football games in the stands and also around a week in advance at small, independent bookstores such as Village bookstore in Leeds. The idea is to create a well considered, contemporary and stylish, collectable football supplement, something different to what's available now. 

To see research into existing products, check out this post on my context blog.

In terms of the name, I didn't want to spend too long thinking about it but I wanted something subtle, memorable but also pretty self-explanatory especially when in context on a football magazine.

List of names:
Studs
Turf
Grass
Posts
Field
Spot
Goal
Pitch*


I went with Pitch, because the rest are rubbish and Pitch just seemed to work in my mind and I could visualise already how it would work as a logo.



The Concertina






I feel one of the beauties of the concertina fold is it can be read as a book a double page spread at a time, but also as one big spread as it's convenient and easy to just pull it all out as one big spread. So I aim to make the booklet work as a big spread but also a page at a time.


It also has two sides to it, which you read the opposite way by flipping it over and this format seems perfect and logical to focus on each opposing side.

When closed will be A5 size, so it's pocket size but also manageable when folded out to be one big spread





The content

To give the proposed magazine more relevancy I wanted to focus it on a real-life match and one which is upcoming and feasible to have a match-day program for. 

I picked Barcelona v Bayern Munich, the upcoming semi-final double-leg for the Uefa Champions League trophy. A huge match and visually and conceptually it opens up a lot of doors in terms of colour and content for each flip-side of the booklet.







The logo

The logo needs to be simple, contemporary but also referencing the topic in itself, as this is a type&grid brief I thought it was a better time than ever to create the logo out of a custom typeface.

Some development screenshots culminating in the final logo i'm going to go with. The logo will work in monotone, b&w and colour. For special annual issues the logo can be easily spot-varnished or foiled.





Early versions. Although I feel the bottom logo works I wasn't too sure about the halfway line reference in the dot of the i and it isn't too adventurous. So I decided to instead create a custom typeface with more of a visual concept and unique quality to it.



I decided to try and show the movement of a ball with the dot of the i and needed to have a lower x-height in the typeface to create the idea so I made my own simple geometric typeface.


Made up on simple lines and circles

Cut away elements to create the logo



















Next post will be visual development and image of the grids used! Keep you posted.

Outlined version I plan to use for the programmes. I feel it works in an odd sort of way and is definitely different to what you'd expect. It has a sort of dated, 60s/70's quality to it, especially with the p.



0 comments:

Post a Comment