BUSHIDO! Book 01: History of Bushido

Finally managed to get a product list and plan of action for Bushido, pretty late with this but I'm confident I can pull it off and at the least have an impressive set of photos communicating the brand and the vision I have, I feel I can pull it off to a pretty decent standard, ideally even a week more time would help me tenfold but that's not a choice right now

The kind of visual style I've been trying to convey throughout the posters is loose and almost kitsch, I'm targeting a younger demographic so I want the style to reflect the 'zine culture' we're in right now with experimental layout and a kind of indie self-made risograph visual style which I think will work with my posters and branding - it's been hard to visualise the rest of the branding with how loose the posters are but I think I've come up with a logical solution although it stumped me for a while.


///

This is the first book of 7, I hopes to finish the content for all 7 books but if not I'll make mock-ups of the books so at least the covers and overall aesthetics and proposals are there for the photography , I feel with the time on hand it's not essential for me to essentially write a book, I'm proposing a brand and identity for this brief which is more important than the content of each book when it's probably more efficent and time effective to focus on content of one book to propose the content of the rest. This takes less pressure of me as making books is time consuming, making at least one book have laid out content for photography of spreads like I have here allows me to concentrate on other branding collateral.

///




Mock-up of when printed and bound









Each poster also has a nod to each virtue, just like my posters so they correlate, the imagery is also the same, so this Honour splash page for Book01, relates to poster 01 for the promotion which is honour with the same imagery_









Stamped and overprinted aesthetic style to flow with the loose and risograph/screenprint visual style. I had hoped to screen-print so the books will act as a mock-up of screenrpinted elements as I proposed to do so.



Black sections of the book to break it up a little bit. I've mixed Serif with Sans-Serif to go with my research book and from my research into Japanese design in a previous brief, serif and sans-serif is mixed frequently throughout Japanese design, especially in the 20th century.






Back and front laid out. I've chosen to use the polar co-ordinates throughout the branding as I feel it's a much more interesting and different way of saying the address of somewhere as chances are the target audience know where Tate is, as they picked this book up from there. The date of the exhibition is also going to be on all collateral to give the product lasting value and memorabilia.





For each book cover and colour palette I plan on cycling through the colour palette of red, blue and black as I have on the posters. So book 2 will have a blue cover + black ink, book 3 will have a black cover plus black ink, which looks almost like a spot varnish, and then around again. It will give it the variety the posters have.





Read-Through

"Book 01 of series of books reflecting on the BUSHIDO exhibition at Tate, London focusing on the portrayal of the martial arts warrior from poetry, Japanese history, the Samurai to the movies. Aimed towards younger demographic creating a more self-made, independently published and viral and cost-effective aesthetic style while still referencing the visual style and formats of Japan to appeal to the young creative."





0 comments:

Post a Comment