ILLUSTRATOR BRIEF - 'BUILD'

Recently I started to crack on with the illustrator brief which is basically to illustrate a full typeface on an A1 piece of paper, including 6 glyphs. Pretty similar and linked with the alphabet soup stuff I did a typeface about Steph for.

We needed to choose one of the styles we did for the set of letterforms on the theme of 'build'. The final two that I thought would be quite different were these two:

1.
This letterform was based on the idea of "Rome wasn't built in a day", I think it looks quite smart, although the subtlety and lack of a blatant theme of 'build' might play against it. It also looks very similar to existing roman typefaces.

2.
I like this idea, it clearly shows the idea of building. The letterform is being built. it would be more of a symbolic and pictogram style typeface though, such as Wingdings and all that. Maybe research in this area is needed. I don't want it to look too simplistic though, but maybe the way in which I 'build' the letters could become quite interesting.

3.
I think this is the most impressive looking, but I was abit concerned about the amount of time it takes to draw the scaffolding, I didn't know if it was really worth the time. I didn't think it was THAT good that it warrants me spending a fair bit of time drawing up the scaffolding on each letter. Although, it may be worth the effort so I gave it a shot.


I decided to develop 2 and 3. I first developed number 3. Again, the basis of the letterforms was uppercase Helvetica Bold. 

Here is the A1 set up with 6 glyphs etc, with the Helvetica bold typeface layered behind it as a guide.


I found it pretty time consuming and don't really think it was worth the effort, it's gonna end up looking pretty standard and not very out of the ordinary compared to other peoples work that are also doing the same brief.

Here are some close ups: 



I've put this on the shelf for now and I'll carry on developing the crane idea (2). I think it'll be less time consuming and maybe more effective and interesting to look at.

The two colours used on this are K(kblack) and a grey (78% K). So it's actually just one colour with different hue!(?) I think it's hue anyway, more research into Fred's colour theory stuff is probably needed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment