OUGD505: Studio Workshop and Group feedback


Todays workshop for my subject of fighting was very useful, it really helped me outline which direction I want to go in as I've been in two minds about whether I should create some sort of 'Fight pack" or proposed "fight club" kind of idea or really look into the art of fighting, the spiritual side of fighting and it's effect on your soul and way of living - with particular focus on the Far East and most likely Bushido - The Way of The Warrior. I touched upon this subject over summer and didn't creatively explore it as much as I wanted to and we all agreed it was the most exciting visually too and I can't wait to get stuck in.

Here are the 5 examples of print material I found interesting and useful towards my brief, it's not clear exactly what I want to do yet but I'm confident after really getting stuck in with research and product range but these illustrate definite areas I want to look into:




 



 


Screenprinted posters. I definitely want to explore screenprint and combining colours and layers it's something I love to explore and I feel it's relevant towards Japanese and Bushido art. I don't want to just create posters and sell it as a product, I want to create posters and package them within some kind of box/protective packing.



Tie-binding. I want to package my posters and any other kind of grouped material in a protective and almost 'luxurious' way as I intend this product range to be to keep and suit the meditative and spiritual theme.


Protective packaging



The bottom example here is definitely relevant as an example of the kind of packaging I could create for the whole product range, I think I might go down the wood route or at least very thick stock as there will be a fair amount of stuff inside it, - wood is definitely the best choice.



Laser cut/engraving/bookmaking





As the product range will somehow lead to martial arts, Bushido type subject I feel it's logical to have some kind of booklet or flick through guide as people who buy this will almost definitely be martial arts enthusiasts/practitioners and they want something to read. I want to create luxurious book, with bookmarks and a thick, maybe engraved/embossed outer cover. I want to try out new processes.





/////


Moving forward I'm going to focus my research more knowing what kind of area I'm looking into. Stock/binding and existing products for Samurai/Martial Arts/Bushido theme is really important too. I don't want to make something which already pretty much exists.



> Initial Product range ideas:

  • Boxset / protective packaging
  • Posters / bushido quotes / Samurai bushido movies?
  • Incense sticks
  • Incense holder
  • Meditation mat
  • Book of Bushido
  • Notebook/log book - why would they need one though?
  • Paintbrush / Fountain pen
  • Ink
In terms of how I package and bind each relevant group of products together is the interesting bit. In terms of workload and time management the most time intensive products are definitely the posters and Bushido book.

Moving forward I'm going to try and engage with the research and look into Bushido culture and the Samurai life and existing products and stocks and formats already prevalent, this should allow the task for tomorrow to take care of itself.





0 comments:

Post a Comment